|“||I have had diva moments, and then people can't handle it. I guess it's a little intense, because I come from a true diva," she said. My mother is an opera singer. And that's a real diva, you know -- Juilliard diva.||”|
– Mariah talking to Paper Magazine about her mother.
Patricia Carey (née: Patricia Hickey; February 17, 1937) is an Irish-American retired opera singer & freelance vocal coach. Before retiring, she had worked with the New York City Opera. She is the mother of Mariah Carey, Morgan Carey and Alison Carey. She is also the grandmother of Monroe and Moroccan Cannon.
Early Life Edit
Patricia Carey was born on February 17, 1937 in Virgin, Utah and grew up in Springfield Illinois. In the late fifties she met Alfred Carey and in 1960 they got married in New York City. The couple endured much racism through the course of their marriage , including being shot at their home and their pets being poisoned.  Additionally, Carey was also reportedly "disowned" by her mother Elizabeth Hickey for her relationship with Alfred. An article by Arogundade.com states that Patricia was banned from bringing her black husband home for family gatherings and instead she would pretend that she was single. Throughout the course of their marriage the couple moved several times after concerns following the opposition of their union by neighbors and the unusualness of being a mixed couple. In 1970, their daughter Mariah Carey was born. That same year, the couple would move to a more prosperous neighborhood in New York. After the move, The family, sadly, continued to be the target of rampant racial intolerance, and the ongoing problems it caused in the relationship between Alfred and Patricia proved insurmountable, causing their separation and divorce, which occurred when Mariah was three in 1973.
Mariah and Patricia collaborated on a holiday classic song called "O Come All Ye Faithful" for her Merry Christmas II You holiday album in 2010. Mariah has reportedly stated that she had discussed doing a duet with her mom and wanted to make sure it happened on the Christmas album. "She's the one who really got me into being so festive at Christmas," Carey said. Mariah and Patricia performed the song live during a Christmas special which aired on December 13, 2010 on ABCThe special special was filmed at the Los Angeles's Orpheum Theater.
- Patricia was 23 when she married Alfred.
- Patricia is a former mezzo-soprano with the New York City Opera and a freelance vocal coach
- Patricia was 25 when she gave birth to Alison.
- Patricia was 28 when she gave birth to Morgan.
- Patricia was 33 when she gave birth to Mariah.
- Patrica appeared with Mariah on Oprah Winfrey show in 1999.
- Patricia was 36 when she & Alfred got divorced.
- Mariah was 3 when her parents got divorced.
- Patricia has worked with Beverly Sills.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Mariah Carey, mom team up for holiday duet
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Geeni - Patricia Carey Article
- ↑ Mariah After Midnight - Rolling Stones Article
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Celebrity Ancestry: “Someone Fired A Shot” - Mariah’s Parents Alfred Roy Carey & Patricia Hickey’s Brush With 1960s Racism
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Mariah carey Revisited: The Unauthorized Biography - Chris Nickson
- ↑ Mariah Carey & Patricia Carey - O Come All Ye Faithful (Live at ABC Christmas Special)