Hodel is strong, independent middle child of the three older daughters. She is outspoken, but respectful. She has her eye on the Rabbi's son at the outset of the story, but she is taken with the revolutionary Perchik from the moment she meets him. Hodel proves that her dedication to and love for Perchik is real as she follows him to Siberia after his arrest. Hodel sings a haunting solo called saying goodbye to her father. Ensemble dancing and two dances with sisters.
During Mariah's first year at summer camp. She landed the big role as Hodel. She was confident, quickly learning the songs and studying their meanings. Mariah's mom also rehearsed the Fiddler songs with her at home, playing along on her Yamaha piano. Mariah expressed her admiration for Hodel in her memoir:
|“||I loved Hodel because she fell in love with a revolutionary boy and went to the ends of the earth to follow her passion. My big number was in the second act, a song called “Far from the Home I Love.” It was a well-suited song for my breathy tone, and I remember I sang it in a purely
– Mariah in her memoir "The Meaning of Mariah Carey"
The day Mariah played Hodel, she sang and smiled and pranced about the stage and sang some more. She also sang in a very distinct lullaby style. At the end of her performance, her father walked up to the edge of the stage and gave Mariah a big bouquet of sunny daisies tied with a lavender ribbon. After the audience realized that Mariah's dad was black, she did not get a lead role at the camp again.
- In around 1979, Mariah played the role of Hodel in the play, Fiddler on the Roof
- Mariah's father Alfred went up to Usdan Summer camp to see her play the role of Hodel
- Mariah's father gave her flowers at the end of Fiddler on the Roof
- After playing Hodel, Mariah never got a lead role at her summer camp again
- Mariah enjoyed playing Hodel
- Mariah played Hodel while she was 10 years old
- Mariah played Hodel in fifth grade
- Hodel's age is suppose to be between 18-23. However, Mariah played her at a young age
- Hodel's range is B3 - E5